[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HV diode identification

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Gavin Hubbard <ghub005-at-xtra.co.nz>
>
> Hello all.
>
> I was fossicking around a local electronics surplus shop and I came across
> a box full of HV diodes. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make sense
> of the markings...perhaps someone can help me identify them.
>
> The diodes are approx 14 cm long, white - with alloy end caps and read:
>
> BYX 29/75000
> 9330 358 30112
> D414

I'll guess they are made by Philips (the BYX is a typical Philips semi
part prefix), that they are rated at 75 kV (such luck). As for the
current rating, I don't know, but if they did come out of a Xray
machine, they are probably rated at 100-200 mA.  They are probably also
designed to run immersed in oil.

They were made in the 30th week of 1993

> My best guess is that they formed part of the voltage multiplier circuitry
> from an old X-ray machine.

Probably not even a multiplier. Most Xray machines that I have seen just
use a bridge and HV diodes. They make a special transformer anyway, so
they might as well wind it for the output voltage.

 If they are sufficiently rated, I'll use them to