[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TC tuning tools

At 04:56 22/09/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Original Poster: Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>TC's became weird to me again after I witnessed
>Lou Balint's excellent demonstration of magnifier
>tuning techniques and node placement.  He had a
>rather clever array of neon bulbs arranged so the
>observer could see the field intensities in real
>time, while the drive frequency was altered.
>It was really cool to see an _actual node_ ride
>up and down the side of the coil as the tuning
>was varied, or as a hand was brought near the top!

Having no oscilloscope to use, just relying on the spark
length to a grounded rod, I have troubles tuning at best
my TC. There is a wide zone in the primary hook-up connection (about 1.5 turn)
that gives almost same spark length. I also tried to run the
tuning procedure using different coupling (to possibly avoid the
double hill effect with too tide coupling) but I found no difference.

The method to arrange an array of fluorescent lamps around the TC
seems to me a good and cheap method to notice better/worse tuning,
but how those lamps were arranged?

Were they at increasing distance from the TC? What spacing between
each other? Were they in vertical or horizontal position?

 Marco Denicolai                   Vista Communication Instruments, Inc.
 Hardware Development Manager      www.vistacom.fi

 marco-at-vistacom.fi                 Kaisaniemenkatu 13 A
 fax:    +358-9-622-5610           SF-00100 HELSINKI
 phone:  +358-9-622-623-15         Finland

   Remember, Murphy was an optimist! I am not...