[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sparklength inquiry

  Bart, Greg -

  I agree the equation (Vs/1000/65)^1.43 is not correct. It should be
(Vs/65000)^1.43 where Vs is the secondary volts or
(KVs/65)^1.43 where KVs is the secondary kilovolts.

  This equation is an empirical equation based on real coil test data from
many coilers. The reason for the non-linear 1.43 power is because the spark
length is dependent on both voltage and the ionization of the air path from
the previous spark. Some day it may be possible to equate the ionization in
a more accurate manner.

  To my knowledge this is the best equation presently available for TC
spark length. It will probably change when more accurate data from coilers
becomes available. It appears to be working well at present. It can be
related to breaks and power by

  Watts = .5 Cs Vs^2 BPS  or  Vs = sqrt(2 watts/(CS BPS))

  Hopefully coilers like you will develop a better equation.

  Tesla coils are like women, they are more fun to play with than to try
and understand.

  John Couture