[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: COIL FORM FOR MONSTER BL COIL

> I would heat up the wood strips to get all the moisture out.  Then I'd get a
> BUNCH of paraffin wax, heat it up with an iron and drip it on the wood frame
> sections. I'd iron it on all the wood to make it adhere and soak in. This
> should protect the sections from moisture.  I could also coat the top and
> bottom circular plywood sections.  Moisture would not be absorbed into the
> wood, but would rather just collect on it and drip to the floor (if it ever

	Also building a large coil, 18" x 56", and I too have had my largest
difficulty being to find the most adequate coilform.

	Got an 18" sonotube, at length, after exhausting all other (eg better)
possibilities.

	Wanted to seal it on outside and inside with urethane, then put a
resin-reinforced fiberglass cloth layer on inside, for rigidity.
Unfortunately,
the resin dissolved the urethane on inside, leading to total loss of my first
coilform (the impregnated cloth was such a mess after falling all over the
inside of the form, dontchaknow)...

	Now have the new section of sonotube - not *touching* it at all, except
to wind a layer two thicknesses thick of the fiberglass cloth on the *outside*
of the form, and *then* impregnate it with resin.  Should make for a pretty
bulletproof outer layer.  Then, gonna wind my 850 or-so turns of #14 wire
around it.  Then, another layer of resin glopped judiciously around the whole
of the coil - and this stuff is *hard*.  I'm hoping it will be a sufficient
physical
barrier to protect the sec'y from errant strikes, too.  No doubt in my mind
that
it will.  And after it's done, you'll be able to drop this sucker over on
its side
with no damage - an important attribute for a coilform weighing around 80 -
100#.

	Still hoping to find a capacitor that won't break me...anyone out there
have a
.05 - .10 mfd 50 - 100 kv cap out there to get rid of???  Something I can
afford, now...

	Cheers, and happy coiling to all.

							Clay