[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Nitrogen oxides

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Duke McMullan <n5gax-at-rt66-dot-com>
>

> o WHAT are the v. deadly gases evolved from stainless steel?  I don't know
>   any welders around ABQ, so here's where I ask.  ;^)

Since stainless steel is alloyed with nickel and chromium (among other
things), welding it would put nickel and chromium compounds into the
air, neither of which is particularly good for you.

By the way, welding stainless is a real problem because the localized
heating can cause crystalline structure changes, which changes the
characteristics of the steel. Also, you are almost certainly going to be
TIG welding, and you have to use the right rod.

> o Stainless steel is usually not particularly ferromagnetic, i.e., it won't
>   be noticably attracted to a magnet.  Is this an adequate test for s.s.?

This depends a lot on which stainless alloy. The 300 series steels are
fairly non-magnetic, but the 400's can be magnetic. It really depends on
the amount of chromium, and also the crystal structure.

> o Why does the use of a steel spark gap compromise Q?  Second-rate electri-
>   cal conductivity?

That's it... Also, when the oxides form, they are even worse
electrically.