[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 43" First light! - Dead Transformers :-(

In a message dated 9/19/98 6:44:20 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<<
 I am also looking for general suggestions on solving the self strike
 problem and
 increasing the performance of the coil without destroying it.

 The gap appears to be working reasonably well.  We had a scope hooked to a CB
 antenna.  The gap was firing once per 1/2 cycle.  There was so much noise
 on the
 scope that it was hard to tell how well it was quenching.  We will be
 working on
 the instrumentation, maybe a current transformer on the primary.  The coil
 performed much better with the air on so that seemed to help quenching.

     Tony >>

Tony,

Sounds like pretty good performance to me.  If you don't have one, add a
grounded strike rail on top of the outside most turn on the primary.  Not
quite a complete turn, leave a couple of inches open.  A flat primary will
perform just as well and give you more clearance from the toroid.  You might
also try the two toroid system like I use to gain even more clearance.

Ed Sonderman