[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

COIL FORM FOR MONSTER BL COIL

 For those of you who dont know, i am building a 24"d.x84" tall secondary out
of #10 wire. I have all the parts i need exept the coil form.   I have an idea
on how to make the coil form.  here it is:

I could buy (12) 12' lengths of 2x2 lumber, and arrange them circularly into a
24" diameter 10 foot tall tube (I saw an image of tesla's that looked similar)

To hold them together, i'll take 4 plywood circles (two on top, two on bottom)
with cut-outs for each 2x2 to fit nicely in a circle 24" od.

I would heat up the wood strips to get all the moisture out.  Then I'd get a
BUNCH of paraffin wax, heat it up with an iron and drip it on the wood frame
sections. I'd iron it on all the wood to make it adhere and soak in. This
should protect the sections from moisture.  I could also coat the top and
bottom circular plywood sections.  Moisture would not be absorbed into the
wood, but would rather just collect on it and drip to the floor (if it ever
got
that moist) and evaporate.

After the "tube" is complete and all assembled together (finishing nails? wood
glue?) i would slide the center onto a large metal pole which i have, and
up on
to saw horses for winding the #10 wire.  It might take two people to hand wind
the 159 lbs of #10... i cant wait!  With that in mind, i'd want this coil form
to be awfully sturdy!!

If anyone has ever tried this method, please respond!!  I think it would work,
but i've never tried it.  Does anyone know Tesla's phone number??

I am looking into renting a barn or shed that doesnt leak water.  My current
lab has i leak that i just found out about... Cause it leaked right down on my
brand new (30 degree inverted cone) primary!! all the (now drenched) wood
supports  were made of particleboard.  i fired up the coil but it was no use!
my primary was a maraid of sparks and ground discharges!

Consistent Coiling,

Cabbott (Coil bot) Sanders