[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Here pig pig pig (wheels)

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: gweaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> .
> >
> > I'm going to have to find some sort of wheeled platform for this thing
> >to sit on.  Either that or I'll put wheels on the pallet and call it
> >done!!
>
> Try a 12" x 12" sheet of 3/4" plywood with 4, 2" caster wheels attached to
> one side.  2" caster wheels are available in swivel and non swivel for about
> $2.50 each at Lowe's lumber yard.  300 lb. transformer divided by 4 wheels
> means each wheels has to hole up 75 lbs.  I used 1.5" casters on mine and it
> works fine and didn't case me and arm and a leg.

I'd go a bit bigger than 12x12, depending on where the CG is. You want
the base big enough so that when you push on the top of it (rolling it
around, and the caster hits a tiny rock, that it doesn't tip over.

Alternately, weld up a box of square steel tubing or angle and who cares
if it falls over, at least the insulators won't hit the ground and
break.

You might also contemplate making the base triangular and using three
casters.