[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer build up

SNIP

 I've built a similar contraption using 4 of the 4500V 450mA illumination
transformers with the 600V tertiary winding (avail from H&R and also the
cascade, limiting the output to 8 kVA per side.
SNIP
 That system works great as sort of a "mondo" NST (18 kV+ at 450 mA makes

SNIP

Hi Jim, ALL

 I suppose you mean 18kv and 225mAīs not 450 mA?! You are running your second
(2 x) HV xformer from the first and as they are the same and the first limits
the total current to 450mA you would only have 225mA at 9kv (x 2 for 18kV)

I saw your website (downloaded it). The problem is your special transformers.
I canīt get them here. Thatīs why I posted my email. I want to know if I can
do what I planned or not with my MOT setup. Up to now I havenīt gotten a real
answer to my question. My problem is that MOTS (Gardner 2.3kv-at-700mA) are
almost impossible to find. I have three and would need another three (for 13.8
kV). These are the only units (out of ten different manufacturers all
2.3kV-at-700mA) that will survive on a Jaccobīs Ladder for a decient amount of
time. If they donīt survive this thrashing I wouldnīt ever dream of using them
in TC service.

I am thinking of winding my own. Iīll go nuts counting all those turns but it
seems to be the only possibility if I canīt find a decient 10-15kV-at-400mA power
source. I ran up my telephone bill and I donīt think I left out a source for
HV xformers. Nothing (here in germany) !!

John Freau suggested using plate, radar or even induction heater xformers. I
canīt get hold of military stuff over here (No goverment or military surplus
stores) and the induction heaters I know of are driven with semiconductors
nowadays. (Low voltage, high current) So, no go here either.

Here is a list of different company branches I tried:

1.)  Train: Only big ones (>100kVA)
2.)  Laser: Most are pulsed units/ others too big (>30kW)
3.)  NST: Too expensive new (used ones are rare) lousy 8kv-at-25mA max-->too many
4.)  EMF testing: Much higer voltage and lower amperage (>65kv and max 100mA )
5.)  Power company: Only big ones (> 75-100kVA) No PTīs or pole pigs over here
6.)  Electrostatic filters: Big filter units use my needed xformer VA. Didnīt
find a   company, which would sell me a used one. New: way too expensive
>$1200
7.)  Induction heater: Semiconductor shit. No go!!
8.)  Local junkyard: A few OBITS. None the same type tho.
9.)  HiPot testing equip: Voltage okay, too low current (few uA to max 50mA)
10.) Furnance repair: Canīt get enough of the same type OBITS (need 20 for
400mA)
11.) No miltary surplus. Plate transformers are tube radio type V & A way too
small.
12.) MOTS: I need three more Gardner type.
13.) Linear Acelerator: Would have been right on. But I was two years too
late. They dismantled it and trashed the xformer (28kv-at-500mA).
14.) Tried H&R. They give me no answer (repeated emails) and no spec sheet on
their photocopier xformers, so I guess they donīt need my money. Besides I
donīt relish the idea of a resonant xformer in a tc circ. If I get the tank
circuit "right" I would probably kill the xformer (from dual resonance TC and
reso cap in the hv xformer). If I leave the cap off I would only get 2500V, so
I might as well stick to my MOTS (2300 volts each). The next thing that left
me wondering was the fact that the xformer pulled max 8A-at-120V (960W). The
output is 5000V -at-300mA (1500W if Iīm not totally stupid). Where the hell do
the missing (input) 540 Watts come from? I never heard of a transformer that
actually "makes" power. So I donīt trust them anyway.

Anbody got any more sources ? I think I hit em all. Other suggestions ?!
All in all, I have the same problem Sam B has.

So my question still remains unanswered: Can I do the six MOT thing or not ?
Or should I wind my own ?!

BTW: No, I cannot get hold of marijuhana in a store, Terry (in germany).
Donīt have a need for it either. I rather get stoned smelling ozone from a
running TC

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard