[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

The pig farm's having a livestock sale...

Hey Coilers,
 I've been deluged with requests on where I got my pig, so here are the
gory glorious details (appended within a fellow list member's letter):

Mine is 10KVA supposedly, 19900/19200 (or thereabouts) volts are
developed from the can to the HV bushing when 220 is applied from L1 to
L2.  There is also a N, which should be tied to the can.  Apparently
these were used to produce 120-0-120 from some sort of Y-layout
measuring 19900 from line to neutral.

>company's name and address/phone number would be helpful. :)  I'm

Look here:
http://www.austinintl-dot-com/Transformers-Power.html

Send e-mail to Mr. Elijah Stewart at: AUSTININTL-at-aol-dot-com
Or harass them LIVE! on the phone (like I did) at:  (704) 827-8075

They seem to specialize in HUGE transformers - last time I looked, 10KVA
was the smallest.  A search for "5 KVA" yielded a match on 3125 KVA!
Yow!

Tell him I sent you!  But take the weights at face value.  My 300lb pig
was promised to me both via e-mail and verbally as being a 125 lb
unit...  That was nearly very inconvenient as I had to call the freight
hauler and have it delivered at work instead of at my house (don't have
a loading dock and forktruck at home yet...)

>assuming from your post below that this is a single bushing
>transformer.  Right?

Yes.  One-eared pig.  N is tied to the can.  Your mileage may vary.

>Please verify the the voltage you give is
>not a "Y" voltage.  This is the phase-to-phase voltage that the
>transformer can be connected to in a 3-phase Y connection, but the
>transformer does not develop this voltage when run backwards (or
>see it in the Y connection).  This I'm familiar with because I
>bought one of these and the company did not mention that the voltage
>was the Y rating.  The actual voltage that the transformer sees is
>the Y rating divided by sqrt(3).  That's why you see ratings like
>14400/24900Y.

Yea - that was something which I was unable to determine before I
actually got the transformer.  The pig has NO rating label at all so I
can't answer your questions about % impedance etc.

I took a risk, and it seems that I've gotten away with it (Y vs sqrt(3)
etc) as applying 7500 volts ( half a NST) from HV to the can produces 96
volts from L1 to L2, so applying 240 from L1 to L2 should give
(neglecting losses) 18750 volts +- measurement errors etc.

>Regarding you neutral question, I suspect that the transformer
>came wired for use in a grounded wye configuration.  If I remember
>right (I can't check this -- it was on the transformer that I
>mentioned above and sent back (not fun) a while back) I saw the center
>LV connection grounded to the case on a wiring diagram on the
transformer
>when it was connected for GRD Y.  This transformer also showed other
>connections possible, and on these, the neutral was not grounded to
>the case.  I hope I'm remembering this right, but I THINK you can
>just remove the connection.  Probably it was connected this way as
>a way so store the extra hardware that would not be used in other
>connections.

Don't know for sure.  Sounds like you are way ahead of me here!

Good luck hunting those wild pigs.
-Bill D. Arcstarter Pollack