[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Our friend the FCC

> Original Poster: Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com
>
> Greg,
>     I have a copy of the frequency allocation chart put out by the FCC.  It
> shows several ranges of frequencies that are used by amature radio buffs
that
> are probably ok to run a TC at.  There are also several Maritime frequencies
> that might be ok if you are nowhere near the ocean(don't know for sure
> though).  I have this chart at work so I cannot give you specifics on this,
> but could send you a copy if you wish.
>     The only "for sure" frequencies that you would not have a problem
with is
> from 0 to 10kHz.  For some reason this is no man's land and the FCC would
not
> bother you if your coil ran in this region.  That, of course, would mean
> making an incredibly large secondary, but who knows? it might make for one
> killer coil.

That is an interesting thought... 10kHz is realistic, but there will be
harmonics and whistlers in the arcs as well.  Although the TC isn't
really
a transmitter at these freqs, it is a near-field interference source.

Question:  Would a device that produces substantial near-field
interference
at 9.9kHz require FCC approval?
--

-GL