[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Bill the arcstarter" <arcstarter-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> Malcolm wrote:
> >Since I have been involved in this discussion, I will make *my*
> >definition of "bang" 200% clear: A bang starts when the gap first
> >conducts and ceases when the gap ceases to conduct. The trace on the
> >oscilloscope makes it abundantly clear that the secondary is doing
> >nothing for most of the time between bangs in a sparking coil. The
> >energy loss will not permit it.
>
> Malcolm,
>  Have you ever quantified a typical voltage or energy left in the
> primary cap once the gap ceases to conduct?  Terry?  Anyone?
>
> -Bill (arcstarter)

  When the gap ceases to conduct, there is virtually zero energy left.
Maybe 3-5%  I have done some measurements in this area and found out of
20KV on a normal cap (.04ufd), when the gap fired I had from 200-1000
volts left on the device.

Full charge  -at- 20KV     =   16J

post firing    -at-200V      =    .0008J   = .005%
post firing     -at-1000V   =    .02J       =.125%

Please  note that the 1000 volt figure is 5% of the original VOLTAGE
value!!... But the energy is far less!  This is due to that V^2 function
in the energy equation.

Both residual charges will knock you silly, but there is virtually no
energy remaining in the capacitor after firing.  This test can't be
effectively made by shuting a coil off and then testing, as you could
have shut down where near the peak of an AC sine just prior to the next
firing.  It has to be done with DC only.

Richard Hull, TCBOR