[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Measuring coil performance

Hi Gary,

> Original Poster: Gary Lau  17-Sep-1998 1520 <lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com>

<snip>

> I agree that it's unlikely that any two people measuring power input vs
> spark output would arrive at the same measurements, due to the
> complexities of the power measurement.  Wouldn't it be easier to use the
> basic power supply parameters, i.e. a 15KV/60mA NST, as the basis for
> comparison?  For small to medium current-limited power supplies, I think
> this makes sense.  If one wishes to push it hard and use resonant
> charging, then more power to you, make the most of what you have!  If two
> coilers both use 15KV/60mA NST's and one uses resonant charging and gets
> 60 inches and the other doesn't and only get 30 inches, then #1 wins.
> Wasn't that the point of the original post that started this thread - How
> much spark is possible from a given NST?

That unfortunately is what a lot of people have doen to date and come
up with totally meaningless figures such as 500W/foot which is far
far removed from reality. I maintain that if E*BPS cannot be used
(and I would want to see a very good reason why), then there is no
satisfactory measure of primary power available. This I refuse to
believe. I have run systems from metered DC chargers which leave the
type of transformer completely out of the equation. Counting winners
goes nowhere towards quantifying power input IMHO. Using DC chargers
I can accurately measure BPS using the scope and Ep also using the
scope. I will at some stage do this to the tune of 700W or so as I
have an offline flyback charger on the drawing board (trnaformer
already built).

Malcolm