[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Marco's RSG

At 17:48 16/09/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Original Poster: Cabbott Sanders
<SNIP>

>I set my RQ sparkgap wide (5 sections) and connected my RSG in parallel
>with it. Instead of the discontinuous rattling I was used to ear I got now
>a constant tone. Wow!"
>
>Marco,
>
>    Is it true that you set your RQ gap in parallel????  this is new to me,
as it is opposite from the way i've seen anyone else do it. usually gaps are
put in series with eachother, to augment quenching.   i would think that an
RQ gap in parallel with a RSG wouldnt do much.  maybe it was a type-o??  Can
anyone else fill me in here?

Yes, like in Malcolm post is said, I connected the RQ gap and RSG in
PARALLEL so that the RQ gap
can catch the breaks possibly missed by the RSG. Please, note that I wrote
"I set my RQ sparkgap wide". I mean that if I order my gaps according to
their clearance, from wider to smaller, I
have the safety gap, the RQ gap and finally the RSG. The RQ gap is
effectively a second order
"safety gap". By setting the RQ gap to a wider clearance (5 sections) from
the usual one
(3 sections) I get 3 benefits:

1. I don't have to remove it from my setup each time I use the RSG (which is
now an external
   "box" not belonging to the TC frame). I can leave it in its place and
just connect in
   parallel the RSG.

2. I get extra protection, just in case...

3. I can easily switch from RQ gap to RSG and see the difference in a few
minutes.

Anybody yet willing/able to help me with my AC motor speed control question?

 Marco Denicolai                   Vista Communication Instruments, Inc.
 Hardware Development Manager      www.vistacom.fi

 marco-at-vistacom.fi                 Kaisaniemenkatu 13 A
 fax:    +358-9-622-5610           SF-00100 HELSINKI
 phone:  +358-9-622-623-15         Finland

   Remember, Murphy was an optimist! I am not...