[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: High Current Battery Powered TC supply.

>Ok here goes another one. I am sure that a lot of you have tried
>shorting a common 9 volt radio battery across the terminals of a MOT.
>I am also sure that you noticed the great big spark that you get when
>you quickly pull the battery back off. The same thing is true of any
>large inductor, V=L*(di/dt), you know the drill. Well my idea is to
>make a beefy series circuit consisting of a regular 12 volt car
>battery, some sort of a bullet proof high current transistor and, a
>big high current high voltage rated  inductor shunted to ground. Now
>as you clock the transistor on and off the inductor will at first be
>charged with current and then as that current is quickly turned off
>the inductor will generate a big pulse of negative high voltage
>energy. This pulse could be used to drive another circuit that expects
>a high voltage input in this case say a series LC circuit to ground
>where the L in this tank is also the primary of a TC. Obviously in
>that portion of the circuit the LC should  be resonant at the same
>frequency as the secondary of the TC. The most obvious failure
>mechanism for the suggested circuit is that the flyback voltage
>generated across the first inductor will try to fry my transistor so I
>suppose some sort of diode protection or safety gap is in order but I
>haven't quite figured out what it needs yet. I don't want a real lossy
>sort of safety mechanism. I know all this is just a simplistic current
>hog of a switching power supply except that I want to drive the whole
>thing at some multiple of the resonant frequency of the standard TC
>secondary.

 I did something like that: I dipped a 220V in /9V out transformer in
enamel to improve it's insulation and connected the 9V out to a relay. I
wired the relay so that it would be swithing on and off aoutomatically,
real quick. The result was over 10KV out with only 2 9V batteries. It
runs a TV cascade at full power very reliably and makes nice over 1cm
long sparks... I've lost some transformers due to insulation breakdown
doing this, but It's ok, because they cost a little more than 2 dollars
each... The whole circuiit is about the size of a 9V battery...
 You can also use the relay to run a MOT with a car battery. It works
great!
 Give me your thoughts on that...

 Sam.