[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST current draw, was win tesla vs. JHCTES

<< >Regarding the 60ma NST, this often causes great confusion because
> >a 60ma NST can deliver a lot more than 60ma, if a resonant charging
> >sized capacitor is used.  So if someone says they got let's say a 60"
> >spark from a 60ma NST, they may actually be drawing 120ma or even
> >more from the transformer.  This helps to explain their results.  The
> >60ma should be thought of as transformer rating only, rather than an
> >actual amount of current draw.
> >
> >Bottom line, the record for a 60ma NST, and the record for a true 60ma
> >current draw (from a 60ma NST), would be very different animals.

>>John Freau

> By all the previous posts I've read, NSTs are current limited to their
> nameplate spec. That is, a 60mA NST will do 60 mA into a dead short. How is
> the limiting accomplished: inductive or resistive?  >snip

Bill,

If the tank cap is of the correct size to produce resonant charging, the
reactance of the cap will neutralize the inductive leakage reactance of the
NST, allowing it to draw more current than its rating.  It will actually
draw more current than it will with a direct short.  The current limiting
is inductive, and this is what allows the technique to work.  The voltage
output can also rise to higher than normal levels using resonant charging.

John Freau