[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

My first RSG works!

I got my first RSG ready:

- 11000 RPM angle grinder motor
- 15 cm diameter fiber bachelite disk, 8 mm tick
- 2 rotating electrods (4 mm diameter tungsten sticks, 15 mm long) -> 367 BPS
- 2 fixed electrods (same material as above)
- clearance between fixed and rotating electrods is 2 x 1 mm
- the whole setup enclosed in a thuff steel/aluminium case
- the case isolated with noise absorbtion foil (from the inside) to avoid
  annoying neightbours calls to the police.

I set my RQ sparkgap wide (5 sections) and connected my RSG in parallel
with it. Instead of the discontinuous rattling I was used to ear I got now
a constant tone. Wow!

It was difficult to measure streamers' length precisely but I am 100% sure
they
were about 20% longer than before. I also got more streamers leaving from the
toroid at the same time (I guess 4 - 6).

After several 20 s. runs I opened the RSG case and touched the fixed
electrods:
they were maybe 40 degrees (centigrade). The trick is that I screwed each of
them in a brass block 5 X 1.5 X 1.5 cm, used as a termal cooler/mass. There
was also no noticeable trace of erosion.

For those of you that want to know about the other components of my setup,
please check http://vci.vistacom.fi/~marco/mytesla.html. In short, I'm
using a MOT supply and a 0.05 uF primary capacitor.

My next steps will be to built a bigger toroid (same outer diameter but bigger
curvature): from the current 10 cm diameter aluminium duct to a new 16 cm
diameter duct.

As well I intend to build a speed control for the angle grinder, to test also
lower than 367 BPS.

 Marco Denicolai                   Vista Communication Instruments, Inc.
 Hardware Development Manager      www.vistacom.fi

 marco-at-vistacom.fi                 Kaisaniemenkatu 13 A
 fax:    +358-9-622-5610           SF-00100 HELSINKI
 phone:  +358-9-622-623-15         Finland

   Remember, Murphy was an optimist! I am not...