[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Poulsen arc drives tesla maggie?

Steve, Coilers,
 You wrote:

>The above is not a new idea.  In the early 1900s, experimenters
>learned that they could create RF in the 20-100 KHz range using a
>carbon arc

Yes, the Poulsen arc!  I was hoping I could accumulate more info on this
before I announced it, but here it is.

I have, on my site, some very interesting scanned pics and articles on
the Poulsen arc:

http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160/poulsen/
Please excuse the crudeness of my page layout.  The pics detail the
design/construction of a 1KW (radiated) Poulsen arc unit.

I tried scanning the tesla list archives for this, but only found one or
two vague references to it.  I'm surprised that R. Hull or other famous
coilers of similar stature haven't discovered this (or have they??)

I have recently been in communication with a fellow from New Jersey who
has built a few of these infernal devices.  With luck I was hoping to
build one myself.

>From the sounds of it - I bet you could power a tesla magnifier off of
one.  The output is a relatively low current, somewhat high voltage.
I'm told that this was the first decent method of producing high power
continuous (as opposed to damped) oscillations.  The Poulsen arc
oscillator came after the heyday of the spark gap transmitter, which we
all know is the traditional tesla coil primary.

Personally, I bet I could make an induction heater out of one! :)

I have a link (perhaps Steve already found it) regarding driving a tesla
secondary, (via a midpoint-loated primary) from a Poulsen oscillator.

I will upload/post the rest of my info as as soon as possible.  The
fellow from NJ is willing to share/work with any interested poulseneers!

Steve is right - back in about 1910 there were some completely HUGE
Poulsen installations.  I am amazed at how virtually no reference of
this technology exists today.  Nobody down at the Cinci "Grey's wireless
Museum" had ever heard of it, even though they have a collection of old
RSG transmitters, Hertzian spark rings, magnetic coherers and all sorts
of fun ancient things made out of basically rocks and splinters...

Drop me a line if anyone has additional information on this topic.
-Bill the arcstarter
Starting arcs in Cinci, OH
http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160