[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: win tesla vs. JHCTES

At 06:45 PM 9/10/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Original Poster: "R M Craven" <craven-at-globalnet.co.uk>
>

>>Original Poster: Cabbott Sanders <cabbott-at-cyberis-dot-net>
>>
>>Has anyone used the JHCTES tesla program? is it better than WIN TESLA in
>>anyone's
>>opinion? im thinking of buying it.
>

>What a good suggestion for the List to benefit from. This is an excellent
>opportunity for a few volunteers to peer review and comment on the
>advantages and disadvantages of the often-mentioned JHCTES, and the various
>freeware programs generously offered for all.
>
>I certainly volunteer to do some paperwork analyses, and then back them up
>with instrumented measurements on built coils.
>
>Richard Craven, Malvern, England.

  Richard, Cabbott, All -

  I like the idea to peer review the TC programs that are available by
those who have the programs. The paperwork analyses can be done easily
because all the programs use standard equations from the textbooks.
However, the instrumented measurements on built coils is another matter.
That can involve empirical data that is not available in the textbooks. To
my knowledge the JHCTES program is the only one that uses this type of
information. I am talking about data from real world coils that have been
converted by math regression methods into equations that a computer can use.

  Cabbott says he was having trouble with other programs when entering the
toroid capacitance. The toroid capacitance is an input with the JHCTES
program. When you change this parameter all of the involved parameters are
automatically changed by the program to keep the system in tune. There are
many other features like this in the program.

  I ran Cabbott's numbers thru the JHCTES program and got 29.5 mh for the
secondary. With a 24 inch long secondary you should have 24 x 37.4 TPI =
898 turns. The 37.4 TPI may be too high. The program shows only 0.7 mils of
enamel for the 22 AWG which may be due to an incorrect wire diameter. The
primary is about 12 turns using a .007 uf primary capacitor. Note that some
outputs are very sensitive to the inputs. The .007 uf should be measured
and not estimated. This is also true of some of the other inputs. The
controlled spark would be about 24 inches. This is equivalent to a much
longer random extra long single spark.

  The estimated operating frequency is about 200 KHZ which is based on your
estimated 10.7 pf for the toroid. This toroid capacitance can only be an
estimate at the design stage. I show how to find the true toroid
capacitance when it is on the coil in one of my books.

  Maybe this type of review will motivate some coiler to develop a better
TC program than what is now available.

  John Couture