[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: first light for wintesla specs

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Cabbott Sanders <cabbott-at-cyberis-dot-net>
>
> well i put the wintesla plans to work tonight and put it all together.
> details:
>
> secondary:
>
> 6.25" dia
> 24" tall
> 22 guage wire.
>
> primary consisted of 12 turns of 1/4" copper total outside diameter: 34" (a
> little
> large i thought)
>
> 60 mA neon
> steel bolt static gap (a quickie)
> large salt water cap (very lossy, it glows) .007 ufd
> 9" od toroid, 4" cross section
>
> performance:
>
> was getting results from the start, but they suffered.  3" sparks with
> toroid on
> top and tuned to 10 turns primary.  took toroid off, got 5" sparks.
increased
> primary to 12 turns and it gave me 8-10" twisters!  whenever i would
apply my
> toroid back in place, output suffered.  otherwise, the streamers were very
> faint
> (60 ma) but got pretty bright when i held the grounding wire over it.  all
> in all,
> i was impressed with the coil, but not impressed with wintesla's
calculations.
> for some reason it didnt like the toroid at all.  anybody have any
> insight??   i
> had my trusty digicam, and pics are available at
> http://members.aol-dot-com/cabbotttt
> ......    happy coiling everyone!

Cabbott,

Congratulations on first light, Cabbott!

It certainly sounds like you may have a tuning problem. Offhand, I'd,
also guess that WinTes may have assumed you were going to use a larger
tank cap (0.01 uF) than what you actually have. Try adjusting the tuning
by tapping outwards 1/4 turn at a time. With only the 0.007 uF tank cap,
you may need to go to all 12 turns to bring the system into tune...

-- Bert --