[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size

<<
>  I have never heard of a coiler who has checked for an increase in input
> watts when he increased the toroid size and the spark length increased. The
> increase in input watts should be easily detected. An increase in
> efficiency when the toroid is increased in size would not be easy to
> determine.

John C, all,

I did this test, and the input watts does not change
when a larger toroid is installed.  One of the reasons bigger toroids
give longer sparks is because the number of streamers is reduced.
With a small toroid the available energy is shared among a number
of streamers which keeps them short, but with the larger toroid all the
energy goes into fewer or maybe just one streamer, to they/it
become/s longer.  A toroid also provides an energy storage function,
which helps make the sparks longer and brighter.

John Freau