[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 60" Discharge spark with Resitor.

Hi All,

><< Something very strange happened while running the coil with the 430 ohms
>> resistor.  I had a spark come off of the 6" sphere like it was trying to
>> strike a target across the room 12' away.  The spark held its shape and
hung
>> in the air for about 30 seconds.  The spark started out about 24" long and
>> grew in length about an 1" longer per second. It was about 60" long for
>> several seconds.  I usually get lots of sparks off of the sphere all at the
>> same time but when the extra long sparks was forming all other sparks
>> reduced in length and quantity. It was like the extra long spark was
pulling
>> power from all the other sparks. The 60" spark never struck a target.  It
>> just held its shape and hung there making a frying sound.  One long
>> continious purple spark.  The spark never moved or changed its shape.  It
>> was like the spark was following a conductive path in the air.  Suddenly
the
>> 60" long spark disappeared and about 10 to 12 branching sparks appeared all
>> around the 6" copper sphere.

I dont know about what this test says about resistance of materials under
a high voltage,-such as exists in a primary circuit. Its most interesting
that
the resistors made so much difference!

On the terminal capacitance. Ive had similar spark length from magnifier
(similar power)
 with a 'needle' terminal and a 'washing machine' multi stacked hard drive as
a centre loaded capacity .

As for the plasma display (length) you saw, Ive seen similar things while
coiling,
but never quite to such an extent ! Nice machine !! :)
Ive seen, that especially spherical capacitances , if smooth usually give the
'single tentacle' plasma streamer effect.Ive also noted the the 'tentacle'
will follow me about the
lab. As I (in my INSULUATED shoes) become more highly charged by  free ions,
my 'attractivness' to the output also becomes less or varied. After all
when were near a coil
were just human capacitors as far as the coil is concerned.

Marcus