[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gas & Gaps - HID/HPS Sodium Vapor

Hi All,

>Who's tried this? Who wants to? Who is going to? Bad idea? Amyone interested
>in home-made thyratrons or pseudo-spark gaps?

(Always tubes on the brain here)

This would seem like a very natural avenue of investigation. Following the
ongoing discussion on spark gaps, the hydrogen Thyratron springs to mind
again and again. These devices may be flogged unmercifully, and give many
thousands of hours of perfect service. Versions are available to control
currents far in excess of our requirements.

The main concern is max frequency of operation. I have some experience in
the use of (small) rare-gas Thyratrons in relaxation oscillators. I use
these in a musical synthesizer project, as voltage-controlled oscillators
of all things. Fmax is not very high (sub-RF, I think), and this might be a
major limiting factor.

What is the average frequency of your rotary gaps?

Bill Layer
Sales Technician
<b.layer-at-vikingelectronics-dot-com>

Viking Electronics, Inc.
Hudson, WI. U.S.A
715.386.8861 (ext. 210)
<http://www.vikingelectronics-dot-com>

"Telecommunications Solutions for the 21st Century"