[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gas & Gaps - HID/HPS Sodium Vapor

>Low voltage drop (10-50 V) for high-efficiency

Are you actually sure about that? If that was the case I cannot but wonder
why
the current is not at maxinum with a cold tube..

>What's the hot breakdown voltage? Will it display stable negative
resistance?

Hot breakdown voltages are pretty high. Those may require 30-40kV to be
triggered when hot (bigger tubes). Losses are also higher when hot.
Typical
value for 150W tube I just measured was around 150V or so. Not too high
for multi-kilovolt application.

Quenching is also another thing. I'm sure it is not too fast in switching
off.
With higher breaking speeds it might actually not switch off at all. For
50/60Hz operation it would not be reliable as a switch IMHO.

>Needs startup mechanism - can be damaged by overvoltage during startup

Starts when voltage is high enough. Wears down quickly if you just turn it
on and off all the time.

--
Harri Suomalainen     mailto:haba-at-cc.hut.fi

We have phone numbers, why'd we need IP-numbers? - a person in a bus