[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spark Gap Gasses Experiment

Te

> However, someone recently came up with the excellent idea of using a length
> of RG213  (URM67) or RG6 inner as the third or trigger electrode on a Cu
> pipe series gap. That way, you could promote synch. triggering to occur by
> changing the phase angle of the trigger pulse relative to the mains charging
> cycle, or you could use a dc supply to change the peak P available.

Clever idea... I wonder if you could do the same thing to "stabilize" or
"tune" a rotary gap, as well. The trigger pulse could be generated by
any of a variety of schemes (borrowed from an electronic flash, for
instance).

Would the heat in the gap melt the dielectric back, though? Since you
aren't concerned about impedance, what about using a ceramic insulator
(or something like plaster of paris or magnesium oxide, for that
matter).