[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: primary field

Hi Chris,

> Original Poster: "chris.swinson" <chris.swinson-at-zetnet.co.uk>
>
> I'm still confused about the fieled for the primary.
>
> Someone said that only the first few inches of the secondary are coupled to
> the primary.  This seams to me not to be true as the field is 40" high and
> my secondary is 36" high, so it does not seam right.  By that, I could build
> a coil twice as high and just have half the coil coupled.
>
> Can anyone tell me how "big" the fieled is and the coupling strength from
> primary to secondary ?

It doesn't have clearly defined boundaries like that. It is an
inverse square law thing. You can easily prove this to your
satisfaction if you use one of the mutual inductance tests mentioned
recently. Measure the k of your system as it is normally set. Then
hoist the secondary up a couple of feet and measure again. Hoist it
up another couple of feet and remeasure.  Post your results.

Malcolm