[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spark Gap Gasses Experiment

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Thornton, Russ #CSR2000" <ThorntoR-at-rc.pafb.af.mil>
>
> > Original Poster: Jim Lux <James.P.Lux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
> >
> > Tesla List wrote:
>
> Varian switch tubes now do the same function.  This could also be used as a
> crowbar switch, also.  Actually, by definition, I think some of our crowbar
> switches may
> be trigatrons.  I just never heard anyone call them that.  I'll have to
> check with some
> of the REAL old timers around here.
>
> Russ Thornton
> CSR 2040,
> Building 989, Rm.  A1-N20
> Phone: (407) 494-6430
> Email: thorntor-at-rc.pafb.af.mil

  Russ,

Those same old timers might remember when all radars used a high speed air
rotary spark gap in the PFN system prior to H2 thyratrons. (early wwII).  This
radar usage of our Tesla coil rotary is covered well in "Pulse Generators" of
the old MIT Radiation series of  books from the late 40s.

Richard Hull, TCBOR