[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Argon, Fruengel, sparkgaps oh my!

Hi Jim, others
 You wrote:

>>   gap fouling.  I recall paying about $50 for 249 cubic feet, so the
>>   gas is not that expensive if bought in moderate volume.  With the
>>   reduce maintenance that an inert gas would allow, enclosing the
>>   spark gap and filling the enclosure with argon would be another
>>   possibility.
>
>Fruengel used Argon in his multi disk quenched gap for high speed
>stroboscopy, for many of the reasons you describe: inert, etc.

Are there any internet refs along these lines?  Do you know approx what
time period this work was done?   I'm assuming this was before Dr.
Edgerton (? MIT) started along his line of famous stroboscopic
experiments...?

The local welding shop charges me $23.53 to refill a 125 cu ft tank (a
standard ~4-ft tall cylinder) with welding-grade argon (99%).  A 15-yr
lease on one tank is $130 or so - not too expensive, and typically
returnable (although pro-rated).  I have such a tank for TIG welding
(and other diversions!).

You will find that your local welding shop can provide you with many
amusing gasses including He, various Ar/He mixes, H, and others...

-Bill the arcstarter
Starting arcs in Cinci, OH
http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160