[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Any info available on Vacuum Gaps?

By "vacuum gap", I mean a spark gap where the gap itself is literally
contained within a vacuum.  Typically the terminals are very close (.001" -
.005").  One of the 2 electrodes is adjustable for fine tuning the gap
distance.

The challenges I see are how to adjust an electrode without breaking the
vacuum (perhaps a bellose of some kind).  How to electrically insulate the
terminals.  How to provide adequit heat sinking for the terminals.

I have read that vacuum gaps are the best kind to use.  Better than
multi-pole staionary gaps, better than air-quenched gaps, better than
rotary gaps.

Does anyone have any information on this (in support of or against)?

Does anyone have any plans or suggestions on how to build one?
Daniel Krones     Voice: 949-489-1064
<mailto:dkrones-at-home-dot-com>dkrones-at-home-dot-com    Fax: 949-489-9299

Precision Design Services
26006 View Point Drive East
Capistrano Beach, CA  92624-1224