[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DC coil

> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > Original Poster: "Payne, Will E" <will.e.payne-at-lmco-dot-com>
> >
> > Kip, (not a list subscriber) replies to some comments from the list I
> > forwarded to him about his DC Tesla Coil as presented on
> > http://www.altair-dot-org/tesla.htm
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > ----------

 Kip,

 You _were_ stressing the heck out of your filament transformer!  You
 just admitted you were using it near it's "test" rating.  What you
 didn't admit was that such transformers were not subjected to full
 system RF power impressed on the DC bias (perhaps 20 kVDC?), they were
 designed to take.  Bypass capacitors at the RF power tube in a
 transmitter application were/are  _always_ employed, both to improve
the
 efficiency of the circuit, as well as to protect the filament
 transformer from this very damaging RF. In a transmitter the rectifier
 tubes were/are not subjected to the full RF tank coil output swing of
 the system, just a low Hz mains frequency lumpy version, and fractional
 at that, of the Supply DC HV output. High voltage RF of at least twice
 the average DC cap charging voltage was impressed upon your filament
 transformer secondary winding against the core. Such RF is capable of
 damaging many insulation systems at much lower than their DC test
 rating. I maintain that your design simplicity was in this respect,
 chancefull and the results lucky (as are many greatly simplified max
 power designs).

 The cudo's you already were awarded!  : )

 Robert W. Stephens