[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

MOTs

I salvaged my first microwave oven transformer today.  It is out of a
Whirlpool microwave, home unit, not commercial but a large oven.  Not sure of
the rated wattage.  The transformer says made by Korea Transformer Co.  The
primary wire is .053" in dia. which would be about # 15 or #16 awg.  The
secondary is about .015" in dia. which would be #26 or #27 awg.  I understand
I should remove the ground connection from the H.V. secondary to the core and
isolate it for use.  What do I do with the filament transformer windings
located between the primary and secondary?  Just cut the ends off and forget
about it?  I don't see how I could get it apart to get them out, the core is
welded together.

The core is an E core measuring 3.25" high, 2.18" wide and 3.75" long.  It
weighs a little over 8 lbs.  I can't see any shunts in the core but they could
be there.  What would the MOT experts out there expect this transformer to be
rated at?  How do you find out if it is shunted - try the jacobs ladder test
and see if the lights go out?

Ed Sonderman