[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: [newbie] it this transformer ok?

to: Paolo

Your 100 ma xmfr can supply a lot of current.  Most coils benefit from a
relatively large diameter secondary inductor.  If you can wind a coil with
a 6 inch dia x 28 inch long tube  or 8 inch dia x 26 inch long your sparks
would become very long.  You will need a capacitor of approximately .01 MFD
with a 2 or 3 electrode series gap (better quenching or turn off of the
spark).  A small 8 x 3 inch toroid fashioned from some clothes dryer
ducting would top it off.  If possible, try to obtain a transformer with a
big more voltage ---- around 6 or 9 kV which will fire your spark gap more
easily.

Happy coilin' in Italy.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net