[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MOT Experiment

Hello Greg, coilers,
 Gregory Hunter wrote:
>The other day I wired a DMM set on AC Amps function in series with a
>115V 600W MOT and measured its magnetizing current.  To my surprise,
>the thing drew 2200ma with no load!

Sounds like my measurements.

>Core CCA is about 2.4 square
>inches, and based on the turns-per-volt of the low voltage filament
>winding, I calculated its primary turns at 132.

That matches my estimate of 121 turns for my unit.

>  I'm no EE, but over
>2 amps of magnetizing current seems excessive.  If I use four of

As Terry already wrote - the magnetizing current is 90 degrees out of
phase, and therefore does not represent real power.  Now, if the
waveforms were nice and undistorted (which I bet they aren't) I think
you could PFC it using a V/I = 1/(2PI*f*c) => C=48 uf cap.  Does anyone
know for sure if this would work or not?

Im my opinion - people who claim that the primary current draw of a MOT
is limited by the shunts haven't gone out and actually measured it! :)
My MOTs will all ( I have 4, 2 different types) draw >35 amps at 120v
with the sec shorted.

-Bill