[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arc Load Match

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Terry Fritz <terryf-at-verinet-dot-com>
>
> Hi All,
>
>         My Tesla coil model suggests something that may be rather
interesting.
> Perhaps a bleeding edge experiment for the adventurous!
>
> Since arcs appear to be capacitive at around 1pF per foot of arc.  It may
> be possible to add an inductor to the output to counter-act this
> capacitance and allow greater energy to be delivered to the arc.
>
> I haven't tried this yet, so I really don't know what would happen...  I do
> wonder if the self capcitance and such of the extra coil may be a
problem?....

>         Terry

  Terry,

The idea is laudable and worth a shot.  The problem is that the extra coil
on most
magnifiers is tuned in, sort of at the transmission line, from the driver.  I
always did this sort of unconsciously by varying the length of the line on
large
units.  (Lou Balint deserves the credit for sort of codifying this effort).
withstand the tension and such from one of our magnifier's huge terminal
capacities would be quite a feat of shielding and electrostatic field control.

The 12" long extra coil on maggey 11E is only 4 inches in diameter while its
output terminal is 50" in diameter.  I doubt seriously that a similar 4"
form for
the 400uh "booster" coil could contain the energy found on the terminal of
this
machine at 7KW.

I'll have to dwell on this a bit.

Richard Hull, TCBOR