[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Polyethylene/Al Foil Source question

Hi Andrew,

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Andrew Chin <chinny-at-ozemail-dot-com.au>
>
> There seems to be a lot of questions relating to capacitor construction
> lately.  So here's another one!
>
> Does anyone know whether Glad Wrap(tm), the plastic cling wrap for food
> that you wrap your sandwiches in, is polyethylene?  If it is, does
> anyone know what thickness it is?  It is bloody thin!

Not sure if it's polyethylene, but it's about 5-10um thick.
Have already tried this for tesla caps, including many, many layers.
No good I'm afraid - high frequency seems to kill it...

> Also, would normal kitchen aluminum foil work as plate material?

Yes, certainly... however, Caterer's foil (0.3mm thick) is much better.
It's thicker, stronger, smoother and much, much higher quality...
Take a look around for Capril Caterers Foil - found in a few aluminium
shops...

You may like to try the Polythene film (Cromfords) available from Mitre
10, or BBC for around $8 for a 2m x 5m roll - use the clear stuff only.

Cheers,
Rod

Tesla Technology Australia Pty Ltd
http://www.tesla-technology-dot-com.au