[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re. HDPE found: check my capacitor, please

>23 cm is the PE width. Leaving 1.5" per side I could have a usable width
>of maybe 15 cm for the plates.
>
>BTW, cannot I leave just 2 cm (0.79") per side? That would make a 4 cm
>distance for the corona to jump, through oil. How much voltage that
>gap will stand?

It is not a gap. It is a discharge along the surface. Coilers have
broken caps with only 2cm creepage clearance. There is a reason to
this too: electrical field component along the surface is quite
large. So, it would push any discharge further. (Simplified)

Calculating something like 20kv/mm and 20mm on each side = 400kv
just isn't right for this one.

>But why not to leave vacuum?

Uhum, you are not trying to tell about leaving the cap with vacuum,
are you? That would be a very bad idea!

--
Harri Suomalainen     mailto:haba-at-cc.hut.fi

We have phone numbers, why'd we need IP-numbers? - a person in a bus