[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary size

  Mike -

  The larger the secondary the longer the secondary wire. It is obvious
that the length of the wire will load the TC power transformer and the
length will be limited by the size of this transformer. With your 500 watts
the JHCTES will start to reduce the spark length as the wire length
approaches and exceeds about 1200 ft. Knowing this length you can design a
secondary coil that will give you the maximum inductance without
overloading the power transformer.

This wire length limit is based on information from sketchy data from
coilers in the past. However, it gets you into the ballpark. To my
knowledge this information is not available anywhere else except maybe
Resonance Research, who, I believe, has also collected this type of
information.

  It should be noted that there are several other TC parameters in the
program that increase or decrease the spark length. For example, the 1200
ft is for 10 KV. Using 15 KV would increase the wire length slightly. Also,
the 1200 ft should be used on a secondary coil that would give you the
maximum inductance. There are other possibilities. The goal of the TC
designer is to find all the best options for his coil. This can be done
with manual calculations, however, computers can be a great help.

  John Couture