[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: scary idea

Here's an interesting note on this "scary idea" of an extremely high
frequency Tesla Coil:

I first became interested in Nikola Tesla and his high voltage/ high
frequency coils after I saw photographs of the fascnating Aurora
Borealis.  Being very curious, I wanted to find out more about how they
were formed, and I began to do some research.
     Since I also wanted to find a way of generating something similar
to the Auroras myself, (hence my e-mail name), I wanted to understand
what light itself actually was.  It was then that I found out that it
could be described either as streams of photon particles, or
electromagnetic waves oscillating at very high frequencies.  These are
at billions of cycles per second.
     I also found out some of the attempts that were made in the late
1800's to generate artificial light before Nikola Tesla, or his nemesis
Thomas Edison were around.  This involved methods of generating
alternating current with thousands or hundreds of thousands of reversals
per second, and then passing this high frequency current through an
electromagnet.  It was believed that this would then emit some form of
light.  Of course, this attempt was unsuccessful because the early
experimenters did not have anything which could develop the frequencies
approaching visible light.  Work with high frequency currents was
abandoned until Nikola Tesla came around with his high frequency
alternators and disruptive-discharge coils, and revealed the
possibilities.
     Your friend has an interesting idea.  I have even thought of trying
it myself.  In fact, before I knew anything about high voltage, or the
eerie but very cool corona glow it can cause in the air, I thought I
would have to find a way to generate the extremely high frequencies of
light waves in order to generate the luminous effects I was looking for
directly in the air.  It wasn't long before I knew that this would be
just about impossible.
      Now, even if your friend is able to obtain these insanely high
frequencies, there is no telling what dangers there may be!!  I would
not wager on what ill effects it may have on the eyes, for example.  If
that coil does emit visible light, I am willing to bet, however, that it
is not the warm and safe rays of a light bulb!  If it is possible, tell
your friend to go ahead and try it.  The idea of an electromagnetic
device which runs on such high frequencies that it emits visible light
is very exciting.  But be careful!!  This is definitely unchatered
territory!

My two cents.

Chris T.