[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Cap Safety System

Marco,
Attack the problem from a different angle:
Instead of trying to cram some compressible object that can stand up
to the vacuum process inside the cap chamber, instead use an
external expansion device. OK, imagine your cap is filled to the
gills with oil and has a hose connected to a polyethelene bag
that is loosely inside an appropriate container so it is protected.
The appropriate bag container, (not the bag), would be freely open
to the atmosphere.

If your cap when POOF it would surge oil into the bag which could
readily expand, containing the overlflow. This method also allows
regular expansion/contraction of the oil due to temperature.
Because the bag is sealed, the oil in the system will not get
contaminated under normal use. The negative, of course, is that
you now have this extra thing to contend with. By the way, a
single expansion bag might be able to be shared by more than
one cap. By the way, the expansion of the oil would make a fairly
good indicator of internal oil temperature so you would have some
visual warning of heat build-up.

Just a thought.
Fr. Tom McGahee