[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: UK Neon Sign Transformers

Hi Jan and all on list,
      I would strongly recommend you start off with a NST to drive your
coil with.
You could try microwave oven transformers but you need several of them
wired up series to get sufficient voltage to drive a coil.
To my mind this is too messy, as they usually need immersing in oil to
prevent them breaking down.  Also the current they can deliver puts them
into the same danger league as the pole pigs as far as I'm concerned!
I was able to get all my NST's from a local sign shop here in
Nottingham.
They were all used ones, and they sold them to me for between £10 and
£15 each.
The largest one they had was a Pearce Transformer Co. 8kV  120mA one and
this is currently driving my coil to give 45" sparks!
UK regulations only permit a maximum of 5kV above ground so most NST's
are centre tapped to ground.
The largest ones I've seen here are 10kV (5-0-5kV) 200mA but these are
rare and cost a lot of money!
The 15kV ones that are common in the USA are not available over here.
The great thing about NST's is that they are "shunted" so they cannot
deliver any more current than it says on the plate.
This makes them safer (though still dangerous!) than other non-shunted
transformers.
Try looking in the Yellow pages for sign shops.
There are usually a few neon sign dealers if you are near a big town.
If they sell neon signs go and see them, and tell them what you are
doing.
You may get an old one for free, if you tell them it's for a school
project or something!
                   Good Luck     Martin Dale