[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Cheap high current variac source

Hello all.

I found out today that a good source of high current variacs are
electroplaters or electropolishers. After half an hour on the telephone to
local companies I was able to obtain a single phase 60 amp variac with a
blown rectifying stage for next to nothing (a couple of cold beers *grin*).

Electroplaters use a variety of high current (typically 20-2000 amp!)
variacs to step down the industrial supply voltage which is then rectified
into high current DC (often 10-12 volts depending on the desired
electrochemical reaction potentials). They are unlikely to sell working or
surplus variacs, but may have broken or faulty units.

I hope this is helpful,

Gavin Hubbard

P.S. Another good source of industrial variacs is old electric forkhoist
battery charging control circuitry. I have often seen these units for
reasonable prices at surplus industrial equipment dealers.