[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

The vac pump problem

 Original Poster: "mike" <mike-at-gmx-dot-com>

Hi Mike, All

Fridge pumps only spit out oil as the dissolved gas (freon, or what ever) is
released (happens at atmospheric pressure) from the oil. I usually run them
(when I get them "new") with a hose connected to the output and just let her
puke into a can. After a 10 minute run the exhaust is "clean enough" for cap
use.

However the exhaust gas will always contain small amounts of oil. These are of
no concern when vacing caps, but if you fool around with something else (like
homemade discharge tubes) it can be a nuisance. My El Cheapo method is easy,
too. Just plunge the exhaust hose in a bucket of warm soapy water. The soap
will take care of your oily air problems.

Vaccum (but not empty) greets from germany,
Reinhard

SNIP
If you experiment with a refrigerator pump, be aware that they can spit a lot
of oil out the exhaust port (ask me how I know;).

 - Mike