[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arc Impedance Study - Computer Models

At 11:35 AM 10/12/98, you wrote:

>  Terry -
>
>  The analysis of your Tesla coil using Spice is very interesting. The
>analysis for finding the optimum TC coupling, inductance and frequency is a
>novel approach to this type of problem. This solution certainly simplifies
>finding these parameters, however, it could be misleading. How is the Peak
>Current and Burst Time determined?

The program finds the peaks of the waveform with a mouse click.  Burst time
is read with the cursor and a little eyeballing.

>  I have a PSpice program but never did much with it. You have given me
>renewed interest in applying it for the solution of TC problems. How did
>you set up the input file for your analysis (Probe)?

Input file!?  I use MicroSim 8.0 (the free demo version :-))  It is all
graphical so you just select components and place them were you want and
connect the wires and press go.  No netlists or any of that nasty stuff.
You can download the demo version from the MicroSim site if you answer the
usual junk mail questions.  I looked at a lot of simulation programs and
this is by far the best I have seen for TC work.  It is crippled since it
is a demo but it does all TC type circuits with no problem.  I can send you
the file, and all you would have to do is click simulate to run it but you
need The MicroSim demo.  It is 16.5 Mbytes!!  Microsim can be very complex
but if you ignor the bells and whistles, it is pretty straight forward.  It
will also generate conventional netlists but I know little about all that
stuff.  Here is the file it created if this is of any use:

*PCBoards Netlist Version 8.0: Format 1.0
*timestamp: netlist 908234058
*component C CK05 Cl
-at-attribute VALUE=5pF
*component C CK05 Cp
-at-attribute VALUE=68.2nF
*component C CK05 Ct
-at-attribute VALUE=27.26pF
*component R RC05 R1
-at-attribute VALUE=270
*component R RC05 Rl
-at-attribute VALUE=220k
*component R RC05 Rp
-at-attribute VALUE=3
*component Sw_tClose Sw_tClose U1
*net 0
+ Cl.1
+ Ct.1
+ Cp.1
*net NN_0002
+ Rp.1
+ U1.2
*net NN_0003
+ R1.2
+ Rl.2
+ Ct.2
*net NN_0005
+ Rl.1
+ Cl.2
*net NN_0006
+ U1.1
+ Cp.2
*End

I played with this netlist stuff many years ago but forgot it all when nice
point and click windows versions of Spice became available.  A schematic
model of my TC is at:

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/schem.jpg

for reference.  Contact me off list if you need more info on getting the
spice thing going.

	Terry