[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ceramic Tank Circuit Caps

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Gwyn Zucca <gwyn-at-tcbod.demon.co.uk>
>
> Hello All,
>
> I have been having some off list discussions regarding using high Q, low
> loss RF/power ceramic caps in the primary circuit. These caps would be
> the type of thing used in high rep rate pulsed laser/ RF work.
>
> We have tried using these capacitors on small TCs with the caps in oil
> with good success, this type of ceramic cap gives a very sharp pulse.
>
> Has anyone else been using ceramics?
>
> Any comments or ideas welcome.
>
> Cheers
>
> Gwyn D Zucca, TCBOD, ENGLAND

Gwyn,

Most coilers who use ceramic caps tend to use the more common doorknob
type. Unfortunately these provide correspondingly poor results due to
their relatively poor metal system, relatively high ferroelectric loss,
and their changing capacitance versus temperature. The low-loss ceramic
laser pulse caps you're employing should provide much better
performance. These are quite nice if you can get them at the right
price! However, these still will be significatnly lossier than PP or
LDPE pulse cpas. I assume the oil is used to remove heat?

-- Bert --