[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnifier Report

<<
> Is driver secondary tune able to be obtained prior to connecting it
> to the output resonator? Is correct secondary tune maintained after
> hooking the resonator to the secondary?

Malcolm, all,

I spoke to Lou today.  He has not tried the above yet, but he plans
to.  (he tends to think that connecting the extra coil would change
things).

> Is the sig gen coupled through a primary or hooked to the base of the
> secondary?

There is a primary, but no tank capacitor.

> > Lou has also tried placing a variable tuning capacitor across
> > approximately the bottom half of the secondary to assist in
> correctly
> > positioning the low voltage node at the base of the extra coil.  This
> > tends to help the coil's performance also.

> How would one do this in real life with several hundred kV across the
> secondary? Finally, can he relate these results ot results obtained
> in disruptive operation?

Lou suggests using a huge primary, perhaps like Tesla's colorado
springs unit.  He also mentioned a technique Tesla used, of placing
large balls around the secondary near the ground, and connnected to
the midpoint (or a little higher) of the secondary coil.  Lou has not
yet tested his findings with disruptive coils, but has plans to do so.

I should mention too that in his set-up, if the extra coil is quarter-wave
resonant at let's say 100kHz, then the secondary should be half wave
resonant at 100kHz, and the primary (or generator in his case) should
also be tuned to 100kHz.  (not sure if I explained this clearly before).

I wonder if it would be useful to place a corona ring around the middle
of the secondary to prevent breakdown, and add capacitance to ground?

John Freau