[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroid = shorted turn ?

John

>Original Poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
>
>Fr. Tom suggested some time ago that in tube coils the toroids
>might be heating up from dielectric effects heating the air around the
>toroid.  What is your view of this possibility?
>
>Thanks,
>John Freau

This is an interesting idea but unfortunately it is not possible. There is
no loss mechanism present in air which could give rise to a heating effect.
Such a heating effect is a symptom of dielectric loss (dielectric
hysteresis)and is zero for air, no matter how humid, at Tesla coil
frquencies.

You might then argue that the dielectric of the secondary coilfrom is being
heated up, and it in turn is causing the air around it to get warm. Well,
this isn't the case either. On my valve TC, the bottom of the secondary gets
warm due to its proximity to the primary coil, but the top of the secondary
remains cold.

Richard Craven, Malvern, England