[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: BL in TC arcs

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Cabbott Sanders <cabbott-at-cyberis-dot-net>
>  out high above the
> burning piece of wood, the streamers seemed to be swirling and
> squiggling into corkscrew-type fields.  Have you ever seen this happen?
> It was very amazing, and I caught it on video tape several times.  When
> i came home and frame by framed the video, you can clearly see the
> formation of a glowing ball usually when there is a "kink" or spiral
> squiggle in the arc. This will last a few frames then dissappear.  I
> will post a picture of it as soon as i get my capture card working.  Try
> it!
>
> --
> Cabbott Sanders
> Salem Oregon
> Website: http://members.aol-dot-com/cabbotttt
> Phone 503-390-8992
> Cel   503-930-9173

  Be very careful here.  This is often seen in streamers captured on video.
We have studied these at length and find, like you, they are formed at the
kinks of streamers.  We beleive they are parts of streamers at a turn where
the streamer moves either towards or away from the observation point at a
very shallow angle off the line of sight.  This shows up a an intensified
knot in the streamer (which it is not), but instead just an optical effect
due to light piling up in a small area relative to the line of sight.  True
ball lightning should be free of the streamers and persist over a number of
frames.  This is something we have never seen.

Richard Hull, TCBOR