[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Still Oops...

 Original Poster: "A.C. Kuntz" <bigvolts-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hello A.C.
You wrote:
" It does not matter what else is inthe circuit, if the 0.5 resistor has
50ampRMS flowing through it, it will get 1250watts!! this is a bad  design. A
properly designed inductor should just work, you dont see  commercial
florescent light ballast or NST with resistors in them!!"

Ehmmm, not quite. If I use a 0.5 ohm resistor AND a 6kVA (-at- 240v e.g.)
inductive ballast in series for example. The total current that will flow is
going to be less than 25 A, so the current flowing thru the resistor HAS GOT
TO BE less than 25A. Simply because the inductive ballast will limit it to
that current. If you read back posts that I and other coilers have written you
will see why we use resistive/inductive ballasts. It smoothes the output for
obvious reasons.

The reason why a FL light or a NS doesnīt use a resistive/inductive ballast is
quite simple:
First of all they donīt care about slight fluctuations and whatīs more
important a FL light or a neon sign is a continues load once started. So your
current wonīt be continuesly jumping around.

A spark gap isnīt a continues load!!

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard