[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: capacitor safety gaps

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: RWB355-at-aol-dot-com
>
> Hi Roderick,
>
> Did you read my posts about PE destruction testing? I have found that at TC
> frequency a 500v/mil is a very acceptable value with a good safety margin
> included.
> So at 60 mil I would go for a 30kV rating. This will keep you on the safe
> side. If you want to be really, really safe do the following:
>
> a.) Make another capacitor, just like the one you already made, except use
> smaller plates (width and length). You only need the 60 mil thickness
really.
> Now roll this cap and let her have it on a (reso tuned) tc. (run it dry
and in
> the dark). Keep making the safety gap wider and wider. You will find a
> setting, where the cap starts to arc internally. Measure the safety gap
> setting. Calc the aprox. voltage. Go down say about 5kv. This will give
you an
> absolute safety margin (because remember, you are running your test cap
dry).

>  It is a little more work, but as you arenīt workin with messy oil and itīs
> not another huge cap, I would go for it. This lets you rate the safety
gap to
> YOUR capacitor.
>
> Coiler greets from germany,
> Reinhard

  Thank your input. But I what I was hoping for was someone that already
is using safety gaps on their capacitors. This will enable me to just "
set it and forget it" without doing a lot of additional work and
research. I have spent too much time on this cap already! I have other
parts to this new coil to work on before my first test run.

                                 Frankensteins Helper
                                        Max