[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Floating pigs

Greg, Jeff,

Do not attempt to bring the other end of the primary out of the tank for
the *floating* configuration.  The single primary bushing allows for
less insulation in the tank.  Making the other end of the primary float
will probably cause catastrophic failure.  Arcing in the oil of a 10 kVA
transformer usually results in an explosion.  Use the transformer as is,
and use the grounded end as Jeff suggested.  Hope this helps.

Eric

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Jeff Larson <jflarson-at-starnetinc-dot-com>
>
> Can't you just use the grounded side for the grounded end of the coil
> and just not worry about that leg all together?
>
> > Original Poster: Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
> >
> > > Oh, about floating HV outputs.  Inside my pig - on the core I see two HV
> > > output leads.  One of which connects to the top HV bushing, and the
> > > other is screwed to the xfmr core.  Im my case that grounded HV lead
> > > could be easily brought out, ie, made floating.  The rating plate
> > > contains a symbol indicating that one side of the HV output is tied to
> > > the case, just like it is...
> > >
> > > Don't know if there are any insulation ramifications caused by floating
> > > the output or not.  I would guess not.
> > > -Bill
> >
> > The question then would be whether the gnded end of
> > the winding can actually support voltage, if floated.
> > Did it look that way?
> > --
> >
> > -GL

>         Jeff Larson             jflarson-at-starnetinc-dot-com

--
Have a good day!
Eric Davidson